Friday, March 4, 2022

War and Peace

War and Peace

We’ve all been following the Russian invasion of Ukraine. My 12 year-old granddaughter is following it, and my 97 year-old mother-in-law is following, and my best friend Bob who hasn’t followed the news since 1963 is following it. On the news this morning, I was told that even though only a third of Americans know where Ukraine is, 77% are anxiously following the war.

We all know the cause of the anxiety. We’re anxious that the Russian invasion will escalate into World War III.

This war started last week, and there doesn’t seem to be a quick stop to it coming up. I’m writing this column on Monday, February 28, and I just heard Belarus is preparing to send troops into Ukraine to support the Russians. Belarus also just issued a warning that all of this fighting may lead to World War III.

Hearing that, my anxiety grows as I’m sure yours does.

I was surprised, therefore, this morning when a friend sent me a copy of Polish Nobel Laureate Wislawa Szymborska’s poem “The End and the Beginning.” I love her writing, and I very much admire this poem, but I feel its optimism doesn’t fully express what happens when a war ends. When I first read her poem, I sat down and wrote “War and Peace.”

Here is her poem. My response follows. I’ll let you judge which poem gives a more accurate sense of what happens when wars end.

Wisława Szymborska

THE END AND THE BEGINNING

After every war

someone has to clean up.

Things won’t

straighten themselves up, after all.


Someone has to push the rubble

to the side of the road,

so the corpse-filled wagons

can pass.


Someone has to get mired

in scum and ashes,

sofa springs,

splintered glass,

and bloody rags.


Someone has to drag in a girder

to prop up a wall.

Someone has to glaze a window,

rehang a door.


Photogenic it’s not,

and takes years.

All the cameras have left

for another war.


We’ll need the bridges back,

and new railway stations.

Sleeves will go ragged

from rolling them up.

Someone, broom in hand,

still recalls the way it was.

Someone else listens

and nods with unsevered head.

But already there are those nearby

starting to mill about

who will find it dull.


From out of the bushes

sometimes someone still unearths

rusted-out arguments

and carries them to the garbage pile.


Those who knew

what was going on here

must make way for

those who know little.

And less than little.

And finally as little as nothing.


In the grass that has overgrown

causes and effects,

someone must be stretched out

blade of grass in his mouth

gazing at the clouds.


John Guzlowski

WAR AND PEACE


War will kill you

and leave you

cold in the street

or in the fields,

broken in the rubble

of bombed buildings


But don’t worry:

peace will come

and bury you

and sit over you

weeping like your mother,

praying for you,

pleading for your return


She’ll whisper to you

like when you were

a boy in the stream

washing your hands and face

before breakfast


She will weep until

God brings a miracle:

you risen again

in golden rays

and singing birds


and then war

will return

and kill you

——

My latest column for the Dziennik Zwiazkowy, the oldest Polish newspaper in America. 


https://dziennikzwiazkowy.com/felietony2/wojna-i-pokoj-war-and-peace/


.

No comments: