Saturday, July 23, 2016

Oral History -- Visiting the Old Neighborhood East of Humboldt Park, Chicago

Forgotten Chicago historian Daniel Pogorzelski and I did a tour of some of my old neighborhood around Humboldt Park this last May.

I talked and talked and at some point he dragged out his iPhone and started filming.

Here's the result.  

The first three follow me as I walk from the corner of Washtenaw and Evergreen to where my house used to be at 2728 W. Evergreen.

The last one finds us talking about a section of Humboldt Park I liked a lot when I was a kid.

Part 1



Part 2



Part 3



Part 4




If you want to read more about the old neighborhood in Chicago, definitely buy my books Echoes of Tattered Tongues: Memory Unfolded and Suitcase Charlie.  

The former talks in large part about what it was like being a refugee in Chicago.  The latter is a crime novel set in the old neighborhood.  

You'll like them.  I promise.

If you don't want to buy my books, take a look at some of the other posts on this blog -- especially "Growing Up Polack" and "Sweet Home Chicago."

1 comment:

Sheila Luecht said...

Just appreciated watching your you tube presentations about the old neighborhood. Interesting how much has changed. It strikes me that in Europe some things changed physically because of war and politics but architecture in general did not seem so transient and the make of who populated the areas. Sometimes the US feels disjointed from the age old structures of Europe and what they represented. Maybe it is only my perspective. I was born in Hessville Indiana, then as a child was living in South Holland Illinois. Things changed there too, but maybe what is common in both worlds is the anchor of our memories.